Proving who you are - Notice of Intended Marriage

by Jennifer Cram   21 May 2019  |
Passports as proof of birth Before you can be married in Australia, you have to provide  evidence of when and where you were born, and photo ID as proof of your identity.

These must be actual official documents (photocopies are not acceptable).
A birth certificate (which can be either a full certificate or an abstract) is acceptable evidence of date and place of birth.
A driver licence or a proof of age card (called 18+ in some states) is acceptable evidence of your identity.
A passport (either Australian or from another country) is acceptable evidence of both when and where you were born and of your identity.
However, some conditions apply to use of these documents
  • A cancelled passport is never acceptable.
  • An expired passport is acceptable evidence of when and where you were born
  • An Australian passport that has not been expired for over ten years, or reported lost/stolen) can be used as evidence of your identity as long as the initial date of issue was after 1 July 2000
  • If your overseas passport does not show the place of your birth, then it can’t be used as evidence of birth.
What if you don’t have, or can’t get one of the above?
  • If you were born overseas, and don’t have a birth certificate or a passport, you can provide a Statutory Declaration as to date and place of birth, but only if there is no way to get a copy of your birth certificate.
    REALLY IMPORTANT: “Can’t” doesn’t mean “Can’t be bothered”. It has to be absolutely impossible for you to get a birth certificate because your birth was never registered or because the official records were destroyed, for example in a war or natural disaster.
  • If you were born overseas and don’t have one of the above photo IDs, you can provide your Certificate of Australian Citizenship along with another form of photographic evidence (such as a student card or other photo identification not listed above). NB you must show your photo ID to your celebrant in person.

Read Proving who you are (Part 2)

You can download the Notice of Intended Marriage form here